Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Pat wrote:
 "My clients have shown good outcomes with fish oil
caps. One even thought that it increased her milk supply, which I doubt,
but perhaps she felt more at ease and slept better so that her milk supply
could rebound."

Pat,
I agree with you that EFA's and Rescue Remedy are great aids for moms, but I would go so far as to say that virtually every mom should supplement with EFA's in the US. As for increasing milk supply--I think EFAs do as as a galactogogue and I tell moms to use fish oil or flax oil when they need to increase supply (Udos is a the one I suggest and I tell moms never to buy the oils anywhere except from a health food store or from a practitioner, like a nutritionist). I know that we can alter the fat content of milk by adding EFA's to the mom's diet, so I might surmise that the baby might nurse longer, stimulating milk supply or the baby may be less fussy, causing moms to be less likely to supplement. When the body utilizes trans-fats in cell formation (trans-fats displace EFAS in the body, so the more trans-fats you eat, the more EFAs you need) then the cell structure is such that the cell membrane becomes compromised and the flow of nutrients into the cell and wastes out of the cell is also compromised. I again surmise that all bodily functions, including milk production would have to be influenced by the body' s lack of EFAs. We certainly know that healthy nerve function is absolutely dependent on EFA intake. As someone else mentioned, B vitamins are also essential for nerve function. I tell moms to spend the money for a good quality supplements and to add a food-based (not prescription) multi as well. Finally, I encourage moms to consume a green super food, since few new moms find time to eat well.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2