Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:10:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Heather writes:
" Does anyone know of solid research on DHA supplements taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding? I am now in a research class for graduate school and I am going to focus my entire semester on breastfeeding related research."

Heather,
I have been concerned ever since Valerie posted about the source of the algae-based DHA (Martek). But, when I heard Michel Odent at an all-day seminar when I was pregnant with my youngest (he has just turned 4), I followed his advice and took DHA and told my 2 pregnant friends to do the same. It was the first pregnancy where I didn't feel forgetful, nor did I after his birth--as I continued to take it. My friends and I noticed remarkable differences in our babies and ourselves from our past pregnancies (3rd for each of us).

I am torn b/c of the Martek issue, as I do believe DHA is essential to our babies and I have read in various sources that Western women have the lowest levels in their breastmilk of any women studied (my DHA-deficient mind doesn't remember the specific countries).

It is my opinion that we are going to have to stop worrying about defending human milk so hard that we keep our heads buried in the sand on the issue of EFA's. There is nothing to be gained by ignoring the fact that many Western diets are deficient in a great many nutrients (well-fed does not mean well-nourished). It is not a condemnation of bf'ing, but rather a wake-up call as to what is possible for our children.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2