Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 08:11:17 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
I had a call from a very upset mom yesterday who has been "helped" by a variety of people from an IBCLC to LLL and friends but problem not resolved. She was angry and started crying because she wanted to know who was good enough to actually help her. 

My question concerns the help she got from the IBCLC. This mom paid $65 for a consultation and reported to me that the IBCLC said, "I don't know what is wrong maybe it is the baby's high palate." Mom said her problem not resolved, diagnosis not made, and she was given no ideas to help her work with baby. Baby was not weighed at all during the consultation. 

My question to you all, is it ethical to charge someone when you can't give her either a diagnosis or suggestions to affect change for the better? When there has been no benefit to the mother in having seen you.

I ended up going over and doing a pro-bono consultation and diagnosed a jaw clencher plus mom having an overabundant milk supply with forceful MER that baby handles poorly. Referred her to a CS practioner and told her how to manage the over supply. Mouth, tongue and palate are normal. Baby makes unusual high pitched breathing noises afterwards also. Not cooing. Moms nipple on the first side was blanched white all along the tip crease. Test weighing confirmed great intake in short period of time. Baby's body language at breast showed stress a couple of times.

Is it appropriate for me to encourage dissatisfied moms like her to contact the other LC and make the same complaint to her that she made to me?(Unfortunately, I get this kind of thing alot.)

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2