Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2018 07:14:17 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Hello to all!  I learn so much everyday and I’m so thankful for all of you!

Recently I had a nurse concerned that discussing the safety of meds with breastfeeding mothers was giving medical advice over the phone, and she was concerned that this was not appropriate for us to do.  

I work in a hospital and I do both inpatient and outpatient visits.  This nurse is a staff nurse working nights while the clinic isn’t open.

I have discussed with her that they are to give information based on Medication and Mother’s Milk ( the most recent edition is available on the unit), and have also given them the Infant Risk Center as a resource.  My statement to her was to give the patients the information from the resources to help the patient determine whether or not she would decide to take the medication.

This is just one of those things “we’ve always done for patients” but when she brought her concern to me I thought bringing it to all of you would make sure we are practicing appropriately.  

Her idea was to recommend that the patient call their OB or pediatrician.  With the physicians in my area, they would most likely recommend their patients call us!

Thank in advance for your responses!!

Terri Bogden, RN, IBCLC
Sent from my iPhone

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2