Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2011 11:50:38 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Hi Jennifer,
No there does not seem to be any research that supports the idea that this bottle is any better than normal bottles let alone that it is a "risk free" option for breastfed babies. The smoke and mirrors with the marketing however, is impressive and the impression is created that the marketing claims are rooted in research. I would expect that as with every other bottle that claims to be "closest to the breast" that it matters more how the bottle is used than which bottle is used. It is extremely expensive. 
Karleen Gribble
Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jennifer Welch
Sent: Thursday, 10 February 2011 6:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: medela calma teat

Hello wise ones,

I have just finished looking at some literature from medela promoting their new "Calma" teat.  I have yet to see any critical reviews of this product.  They claim that it "eliminates nipple confusion."  That's a big claim.  I've seen no research that evaluates this claim.  The requirement for baby to generate suction for milk to flow sounds like a step in the right direction, but I am not convinced.  I need more info about how breastfed babies fair with this product in real life.  What about the other factors involved in nipple confusion?  Yes, I am trying practise my critical thinking skills!  But wow!  is their marketing ever seductive!

In my area, there are many moms who offer EBM to their babies via bottles.  While I am well aware of the problems with this, it is the reality in my city.  I would like to have a full picture of this product so I know whether or not it is a good option for moms who insist (or truly need to) on using a bottle.

Do any of you have any independant (i.e. did not come from medela) info to share?  Do any of you have any experience with this product?

Thanks for any info you can share.  Feel free to email me privately.

Jennifer Welch, IBCLC, LLLL
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2