Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:24:48 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (80 lines)
First--just use coconut oil as a lubricant. It is also anti-fungal--an overall good food for the body in all applications. Women are often deficient in EFAs--without them our cells cannot retain water--so our tissues dehydrate. 

I cannot see how anyone has a deficiency in the following ingredients:
"Purified water, butylene glycol, xylitol, propylene glycol, polyquaternium 15" which is what is in astroglide. Propylene glycol is a moderate hazard, according to EWG. All of the regular products are listed as moderate hazards in their entirety. 

Using shatavari tends to make women juicy--it doesn't just increase milk supply. 

Vaginitis can be caused by oxalate sensitivity. 

Eating GMO soy--which most of it is--is a bad idea for anyone. Soy is contributing to hormonal imbalances throughout the world--this is an example of a doctor trying to give nutritional advice when he doesn't know anything about nutrition. Soy is not health food--I am a vegan and almost never eat soy. 

One more point--I believe that peri-menopause is one more "condition" created by the medical model to give us something else to medicate. I turned 50 a couple of weeks ago and have never had a "peri-menopausal" symptom. I remember watching a video at a conference about midwives in Brazil and there was an 80 year old woman interviewed who said she did not understand the concept of "vaginal dryness". She said sex gets better and better as you age. 

I realize all of us are different, but to assume that aging means decline is a western medical idea that IMO is completely invalid--unless we believe it. But when we "treat" everything with a drug instead of excellent nutrition (not just kind of not too bad nutrition), rather than detoxify our bodies (how can we have normal hormonal function when we full of toxins???), when we ignore deficiencies in the fat soluble vitamins, magnesium, zinc, iodine and other essential co-factors for making hormones, when we do not exercise, do not meditate, do not have enough sex (I was shocked when I was participating in a integrative medicine program in which intakes were shared with the group so that we could make holistic recommendations to the physician--and the average woman in her 40s, 50s and 60s was "not interested in sex"!!!!), when we do not sleep enough and in general take very poor care of ourselves--what else can we expect? Peri-meopause may be common--but I do not beleive it is normal. 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

Date:    Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:23:48 -0700
Subject: Atrophic vaginitits/soy/estrogen/BFing

Ladies,

I have permission to post. I received a call last night about a mother 6 week pp 

who has developed 'atrophic vaginitis' (I am not an RN and haven't had time to 
look it up because I am in the midst of an interstate move). She said that she 
is experiencing extremely severe vaginal dryness as a result of an extremely low 

level of estrogen. Her Dr. prescribed estrogen (not sure if it is birth control 
or just straight estrogen), but she is unwilling to risk compromising bfing. He 
also recommended eating large amounts of soy for its estrogen-mimicking 
properties. She is concerned that this could also reduce her milk supply. She is 

also wondering if there are other 'more natural' things to treat the symptoms 
(like gels or something) because she feels like this low estrogen is her body's 
way response to bfing/birth and she doesn't want to lessen that; she just needs 
help with the discomfort. Anyone work with this before? I didn't see anything in 

the archives.

Thanks!
Cassidy, LLL and CLC in Fayetteville, AR but moving to Edmond, OK; just sat the 
exam but didn't study dietary soy/bm supply :)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2