Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 16:48:58 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
It is true that replies from the PLD can sometimes take time.  In areas where there is an active chapter or several Leaders, you could pool resources and buy one or two copies of Hale so that at least one or two of the local Leaders has a copy.  A lone Leader in a remote area would not have this option, but if she has a healthy treasury (don't laugh) I think she could justify using it to buy or at least subsidize part of the cost of a copy as it will, in the end, benefit all of the local moms.

Likewise, LC's in a local area could pool their funds and band together to organize a nice library which could be shared, perhaps rotating who serves as chief librarian and researcher for a certain period of time.  Our local bf network has started doing this and it is a great way for all of us to preview new reference materials and videos and subscribe to a variety of journals before deciding whether we need to add them to our personal libraries.  This is financed through proceeds from our annual conferences.

Some of our Lactnetters who are not LCs may serve bf women on a less regular basis and may not feel the need to develop a lot of personal references on the subject.  But they should probably try to establish links within the local community with those who do have those references on hand.

Of course, any of us can get stuck in a pinch and desperate for some important information which we just can't access at that time.  However, if you can log onto the  WEB then you can get to any number of wonderful bf sites which many of our regular and very experienced colleagues maintains.   Most of these sites contain the answers to a lot of the questions which are often asked on Lactnet including references.  La Leche League also has an extensive site with numerous FAQs and a means to find a Leader almost anywhere in the world.  I keep all of these sites on file on my computer and many are bookmarked for quick access.  Not to mention the Lactnet archives, still underused I think.  I believe some of it is a matter of people learning how to use their computers better and organizing the multitude of information that spills forth.  I would like to put a word in here for doing regular backups......

Gee, this got awfully long.  That's all for now.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2