Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:36:20 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
Firstly while I agree that often a baby throwing up is a laundry problem more than anything else after nine months of a "happy chucker" who usually managed to drench at least two or three other adult size children's worth of clothing most days in the first six months even "just a laundry problem" can be extremely exhausting and stressful  for a new mother.To the degree I tried him on some baby rice at four months in the evenings (he had other reflux symptoms as well) because he was getting distressed from the irritation his normally adoring other family members were expresing when he managed to miss the copious burp cloth and splatter allover them AGAIN. (it didn't make much difference so I stopped) I know in a year or two I'll laugh about it but at times the mountain of laundry really does get frustrating. Particularly this week when the tail end of a cold has made him worse again (he's 9 and a half months) As for food intolerance my reaction is that having had relatively dairy intolerant children they would have thrown up formula much more rapidly than breastmilk (in fact my first son the only thing he ever spit up was a bottle of formula at 3 months) and I'd be on the look out for  another regular food culprit. Jonathan is defintely worse (and gets classic heartburn reflux symtoms) when I have tomato/citrus and chocolate (sometimes its tough luck on that one!) Toby had a miracle cure from posseting after I stopped eating bread with Oatbran in - I had been reading Food for Thought and wondered if some minor stomach unsettledness I was having might be related and stopped it for me. It was quite definitely the oats as each time I reintroduced he started up again. It's interesting that while I was a breastfed baby my first weaning foods were Farex (oats. soy and barley) and diluted orange juice. Wheat could be another possibility. Citrus has seemed to be a culprit in anumber of recent counselling calls I have dealt withrecently after dairy elimination hasn't made much difference. As for the photo story our next youngest at 9 wasn't quite as proficent as his older brothers and sisters with Jonathan in the early days so we got him a camera for Christmas so he could have an important role of photographer. I began to notice that every time I fed Jonathan our photographer was right there leaning over my shoulder. Whne this got a bit irritating I finally asked him what he was doing - "I want to take a photo of him smiling Mum and he always smiles when he comes off after a drink". Sonja LLLL Lower Hutt NZ

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2