Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:48:47 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
More info. for you:

DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) is a polyunsaturated fatty acid that is normally found in  the human body tissues such as the brain and
sex organs (hence if you eat these parts of an animal then you will get DHA from animal meats-not me!). DHA is not considered to be
an essential fatty acid (definition of "essential" in nutrition is that you must get it from foods). It is not essential because
the body can make DHA from the essential fatty acid linolenic acid.  The reason that vegans have been shown to have high DHA levels
compared to non-vegetarians (Am J Clin Nutr 31:805, 1978 and Am J Clin Nutr 41:787, 1985) is because vegans have higher linolenic
acid concentrations in breast milk (twice the amount of non-vegetarians in this study printed in Nutrition in Pregnancy and
Lactation 6th edition text by Worthington-Robert and Williams. Linoleic concentrations were nearly 5 times the amount of
non-vegetarians. Logically now we see that a vegan would generally eat more plant fats which would increase linolenic which makes
DHA. But there is more. The body's ability to convert  LNA (linolenic acid) is hindered by  excess cholesterol, saturated fatty
acids, and trans fats-hence the average american diet may slow this process. A vegan diet rich low in saturated fats and containing
no cholesterol may be another reason for this efficiency of DHA production. Udo Erasmus describes these "conversion hinderances in
detail in his book Fats and Oils-The Complete Guide to Fats and Oils in Nutrition".  I have audio tape from So. Ca LLL conference
that I will search for where this is also discussed.

DHA in FOODS: If someone wants to consume DHA anyways (especially if they eat the average american high saturated fat diet), then I
would still not recommend eggs. Since linolenic acid causes chicken feeds to spoil sooner, commercial egg production now has
replaced the feed with oleic acid so eggs are lower in LNA.  Fish, however, does provide DHA directly because DHA is made from the
linolenic acid in the tissues of the fish. The following fatty fish contain 1 gram of EPA and DHA in 3.5 ounces: European Anchovy,
Bluefish, Capelin Conch, Herring, Mackerel, Mullet, Sablefish, Salmon, Saury, Scad, Sprat, Sturgeon, Lake Trout, White Tuna (not
light), and Lake Whitefish. I believe the best oils for the human body are the oils of seeds. It has been said that the oil in the
seed is the mother's breast for the seedling until the new plant becomes independent. The best oils for human nutrition would be
the ones that contain both essential fatty acids: #1 is FLAX SEED OIL, then hemp (I have not tried), then pumpkin, soybean, rape
(canola), and walnut. The oils must be fresh and not exposed to light, heat, or oxygen. If oils can not be found fresh, then eat
the seeds themselves. A diet high in these would increase DHA production in your body.

LASTLY: It seems that many lactation consultants are still considering vegans "at risk" and grouping them with other truly "at
risk" groups. The key to proper nutrition is meeting all of your nutrient needs without going over in the "problem nutrients" such
as cholesterol, saturated fat, total fat, sodium, and even protein. A vegan diet can do this very easily. There are very healthful
vegan diets and there can be healthful meat-eating diets (keeping to 5 oz. very lean meat and eating most of the diet rich in whole
plant foods). Please let us get up-to-date with this issue and stop treating vegans like they are nutritionally inferior. Thanks
and hope you enjoy all the food sources! -Cherie Moore
P.S.- Eating fish is not considered to be vegetarian by the way! But both these (fatty fish and seed oils) contribute to increased
DHA in mom.

Cherie Moore, M.S.
Cuesta College Nutrition Instructor

ATOM RSS1 RSS2