Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 00:25:06 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (2 lines)
I am the "guest" speaker at the childbirth classes. In an attempt to spread the information over time, I made up 5 packets of handouts for the instructor to give each class. First week contains a letter saying feeding your baby is one of the most important decisions you will make, take the time to investigate...parents spend more time choosing a crib than on how they will feed their baby...18 hours is spent in a childbirth class for an event that may last 12 to 24 hours, yet breastfeeding is something that may last days, weeks, months, or years they should spend time looking in to it...on and on. Then I recommend they get a good book on breastfeeding (suggest several titles), attend LLL prenatally, talk to other bf women... Each week I tried to have a particular theme and an article from New Beginnings or something LLL related. Here is some of the stuff that was in the packets. Week 1. Theme: benefits of breastfeeding contained the LLL handout on Facts about bf, and a wonderful article titled More than Milk. Week 2. risks/cost of formula. Week 3. Support: contained breastfeeding resource list and a New beginnings article on Mother to Mother support. LLL meeting info. Week 4. Bf and work had a flyer on the family leave act and then I wrote up some information regarding the FLA in hopes of planting seeds for them to stay home longer than 6 weeks and the aap bf recommendations, info on bf after returning to work. Again included an article from New Beginnings about negotiating with employer. Week 5 had a handout on pacifier use and one of my favorite handouts "How Long Should I Nurse My Baby?" When I would talk to women enrolled in the class I would ask if they had received the handouts. I was usually told no they hadn't seen them or that the handouts were put in the back of class with barely a mention. By the way the instructor is an L&D nurse at the not so BF friendly hospital.  Was it sabotage, an oversight, or maybe she just didn't want to make some of the moms feel guilty, Patty

ATOM RSS1 RSS2