Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 10:29:03 PDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (5 lines)
Despite being a faithful lurker for sometime now, I felt compelled to respond to the query about whether breastfeeding would comfort the mother who had suffered a miscarriage or only add to her sense of loss.   I have worked with many Mothers in this position, and have  a personal experience as well.  Every time I have found that having a nursling to hold has been a tremendous comfort. I had a miscarriage before my three daughters were born, nursed happily through two pregnancies, and then had a miscarriage while nursing my third.  I was very grateful to have her to hold and nurse during this time.  The bleeding that I suffered with the second miscarriage was far less significant than with my first, despite being farther along (13 weeks) when it occured.  I have also found this to be the case with other mothers.  Perhaps a side effect of the nursing?  If it works post-partum why not post miscarriage.   Also if this Mothers toddler is high need....or any need for that matter, she will no doubt find it easier to care for him if she maintains her nursing relationship during her recouperation time.    As an aside I also nursed through a hysterectomy...and that again was an enourmous comfort in a time of what I felt was a loss of my femininity.  When pregnancy fails (or fertility is challenged or revoked)  a reminder that your body is capable, strong and right is a huge affirmation.

Stephanie Pearl, IBCLC
Toronto

ATOM RSS1 RSS2