Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 12:10:44 PST
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Maybe those articles linking babies deaths to the drugs in the mother's milk aren't really such bad press after all.  Maybe it's causing a mother who might have breastfed and done a drug, to choose not to do it!  I do know that moms call all the time because they are afraid to take an OTC med for their colds, so this press is making them think about what they put in their bodies, medical and recreational.

When I see an article like that, I just think that if the mother was such a junkie that the amount of drugs in her milk actually killed her child, who's to know if she would have killed that child from abuse or neglect or endangerment , regardless of feeding choice. We see that all the time!

Also, a few digests ago, there was an article on seeing mother's with baby carriers.  Instead of condeming moms when they make choices that we wouldn't, can't we support the choice that they choose as best for their situation.  We do no one any good when we judge them for choosing not to do as we choose, carseats, formula, or etc.  We become labeled as fanatics and shut the door for any future contacts.

I used a carrier for several reasons.  I have an injured back and would put the carrier straight from the car into the shopping cart.  I couldn't carry a baby in a sling.  Also, if I tried to remove my children from their car seat when they were asleep, they always woke.  Keeping them in the carrier kept them asleep.

Dayna Williams
Reno, NV

ATOM RSS1 RSS2