Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 1997 16:37:01 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (55 lines)
Rah Rah to Jan Barger.

You bet there is a DESPERATE need for LCs & LEs & LLLLeaders and NMA, RNs, OP, too, to
work TOGETHER.  Please, let's NOT throw the baby (nursling) out with the bathwater (big
egos, big heads, traditionalists, higher education (not necessarily more intelligent or
knowledgeable) Actually I have found that those truly of higher learning have little
problem with egos.

Since I am foremost and forever a LLLL, and a old, sexy broad, allow me to express a few
thoughts.

Over twenty years ago, when a young Leader, I was amazed by the lack of credence given to
LLL.  Almost every professional caregiver I met for many years pooh-poohed (professional
Dettwyler-terminology) the obviously (to them) ridiculous ideas (such as human milk being
the only best for human babies - really this was outrageous to them)
from all of these "mothers" (dumb, uneducated, unemployed, and deranged radicals).

Ironically, these days these same type of caregiving professionals are singing to LLL's
original music.  Many of these born-again and wonderful activists are facing the same
lack of respect from their colleagues as I faced as "just one of those LLL radicals".
They have my sympathy, support and admiration.

Unfortunately, some (surely very few) pre-Breastfeeding Bandwagon(Egads, there's money to
be made in them thar hills) seem to need to rationalize this business as purely medical
territory and easily forget LLLI & NMA's incredible hard, backbreaking work, work which
is the very foundation of this new professional certification.

In other words, if  they (nursing mothers) hadn't used their intuition and love of their
babies to empower them to slog through all the discouragement and professional
discourtesy, we would not have a career at all.

So, let's give credit to where credit is due: to the moms, to the LLLI & NMA, to the
original few professionals who braved their ranks, to the researchers, anthropologists,
and everyone else -- COME ON, YOU GUYS --WE NEED EVERYONE ON OUR TEAM  --  WE ALL WANT
HUMAN BABIES TO HAVE THE BEST- HUMAN MILK FOR HUMAN BABIES, or at least that's what I
want.

Lets focus on the things we have alike rather than the difference.  You and I may never
agree if nipple confusion exists or not but that does not prevent us from being allied in
the cause.

As for applying for ILCA positions, I'd love to do something, I bet there are many others
that would also if felt our contributions would be welcomed without the letters behind
our names.  Of course, letters other than IBCLC.

Thank for the mental health session.
Fondly, Linda Russell Dunn, IBCLC

"Those who were dancing were thought to be quite insane
 by those who could not hear the music"

"Those who were dancing were thought to be quite insane  by those who could not hear the
music"

ATOM RSS1 RSS2