Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 22:02:43 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
While we are all immediately thinking Munchausen by proxy, remember, this mom is not continually seeking care from different care givers -- she has two sets of resources -- the doctors and Anne/LLL.   If we indeed have all the correct facts,  she is denying/ignoring what both are telling her.  Whatever her reasoning, or lack thereof, I think this is a case of criminal neglect.

I frequently get advice calls at 3:00 a.m. in L & D.  Mom thinks something is not "right" -- and when she presents the situation,  and I agree with her, telling her to come in, often I hear "Well do I have to come in now?  Can't I wait until 10:00 a.m., (or when my husband comes home from work tomorrow, or until my appointment two days from now)?   I think I do a very good job of not getting emotional or suggesting by my tone of voice that they are idiots.  Instead, I quietly and patiently recap the scenario.  "It is three a.m.  You have woken up in the middle of the night, and are looking for assurance that everythings is okay.  I tell you I cannot give you that assurance until you come into the hospital and let us check things out.  Now, why do you want to wait until 10:00 etc., etc."  I also tell them that I expect to see them by 6:00 in the morning, so I will be there when they arrive.  And I let them know I am
documenting this advice.  Funny how fast most of them come in.

And if they don't, we follow up.  That is what is partly missing here:  the medical side.  If they perceive there is a problem, and apparently they do,
they are not following up in a very vigorous or rigorous fashion.    And it seems to me at the very least,  hospital social services, if not municipal social services need to start working with the mom to find out what her problem is.

Yes, this is a rant.  But I see so many moms with babies doing poorly, when mom is doing everything in her power to do the best for baby.  And I've seen parents who don't know things aren't going well, but respond with alacrity when told what they need to do.  I can't believe anyone in command of her faculties would deliberately jeopardize her infant's life like this.

Chanita, San Francisco

ATOM RSS1 RSS2