Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 22:03:44 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
We all know cabbage leaves work, right?  Just had a dramating demonstration on our postpartum unit -- mom had lemon-sized lump above her left breast, toward the armpit.  Reduced with hot shower, massage, BF infant 20 minutes ea. side, then pumping until drained.  Two hours later, lump back again.  Applied cabbage leaf directly to lump only, and in less than 20 minutes, with no additional manipulations, lump WAS GONE!!  Of course, that was just as I left work, so I have no idea how soon it came back.  But mom, grandmom, husband, two (other) nurses, one aide and one nursing student were awfully impressed.

Now a side story to this story -- I mentioned to our official lactation consultant that I had told this mom to have someone bring her a cabbage.  I was advised that I really couldn't do this in the future, in the hospital, because we have no 
"cabbage leaf policy and procedure."  (ROFLOL)  And in view of recent articles that suggest overuse of cabbage leaves may reduce milk supply, we need to do more research before we can think about introducing this in the hospital.

So what is your protocol, those of you out there who use cabbage leaves in your hospital -- or do you just work under the theory that there is no protocol that forbids it?

Chanita

ATOM RSS1 RSS2