Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:52:00 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I think that some mom's need  extra stroking, after delivery, C/S or vaginal, and sometimes even despite the ease of their delivery.  And a caring nurse can babies into those mom's arms and to their breasts, if she can find the right
approach for that mom.

Of course, as I've said elsewhere, each mom comes with her own baggage.
We don't know everything that is going on in her mind, and we can't make
assumptions as to her reasons.

A 34 y.o. G3P2 was delivered of her third pregnancy by C/S  for a failure to descend.  (This is an acquaintance, not one of patients).  Her previous two deliveries had been vaginal deliveries and breast-fed babies.  She was so angry at having needed a C/Section--at her doctors, at her body, and at her baby--she refused to BF, then or ever.  When I first met her, two years later, she was still so angry she could barely talk about that delivery or that child, but she had very loving stories about the older two children's births and lives. 

I often think about her, and wonder what I would do if this was a current situation -- what connecting comments could I make to her that would help build a bridge
over her anger, from her pregnant self to the loving, nurturing mother she had been with her first two babies.

And I wonder how many c/section moms are lying there, having difficulty bonding, because their operative deliveries were without warning due to emergency situations for either their babies or themselves, and their first task
before they can nurture, is to grieve for the lost image of the "perfect" delivery, or
to at least make the mental leap from their pregnant to their delivered selves.

Chanita

ATOM RSS1 RSS2