Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:44:48 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
 Liz -- Thank you for your courage to make what will probably be a very unpopular statement.

Although I have been "anti-war" since the 60's, I agree with you.  People who choose the military or the reserves have to consider that they will be obliged to serve.  There is no such thing as a "peace time army;" a standing army is
exactly that: standing ready to act. 

When my son and his friends finished high school, we talked long and hard about their options for training and/or further educations -- several were looking at the military as an option, especially since it was a time of peace.  I pointed out how much of the world was at war, and how easily we could get involved. . .needless to say those who didn't sign-up were extremely grateful as the
Gulf War soon loomed -- and they would have been there.

I grieve for this mother, indeed for all men and women caught in this dilemma-- but I still feel she needs to honor her obligations.  I also have women friends in the military -- some stayed in and became career military, and had children; others left wen their tours of service ended so they could have and raise children without the sacrifices a military career would require.  One woman actually left her 2-year old with grandparents to join for the educational opportunities otherwise not available to her.  

On the net we have just seen discussion about the mom trying to find the best way to air-express her milk -- people go to extraordinary lengths to maintain breastfeeding without abandoning their other responsibilities.

What it comes down to is personal choices -- we do not live in a perfect world,
(wherein all moms would be able to stay home and breast feed for at least two years, if they wanted to), and we must sometimes accept "as perfect as possible" given our choices and hopes, and our previous commitments.

Sincerely,  Chanita, San Francisco

ATOM RSS1 RSS2