Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Dec 1996 10:27:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
Pam Holland asked about a mom relactating at 24 months for a sick toddler whom she only nursed 3 months. 

The mom can relactate, but it's probably (1) not going to be terribly successful, and (2) going to be fairly difficult. I suggest she look at other health-promoting things she can do for her child. I have allergic kids despite breastfeeding exclusively and extended, and once they're weaned you become a detective regarding their diets, environment, stress levels, etc. IMHO, even a bit of breastmilk won't help that much. Lawrence documents milk compostion differences - not many differences, and probably only relevant to researchers with nothing better to do. (pardon the sarcasm) Get her reading about allergies and how to manage them, and investigate alternative therapies like homeopathy and osteopathic manipulation therapy. In my kids' case, getting rid of all dairy products; cane sugar; food colors, flavors and preservatives; and artificial additives helped a lot. Other allergy-reduction efforts to reduce total allergen load are tedious but quite effective. Give away the cat, dust-proof the hourse, throw out the plants that grow mold, etc. And find a good allergist.

Peanut sensitivity is far more likely from prenatal exposure than through the milk. The most common route of sensitization is direct - in ABM, M&M's, candy bars, cookies, peanut oil used for cooking, etc. Peanut oil and peanuts are hard to avoid even when you're an adult and acutely aware of the issue - believe me, I know firsthand. Brace yourself - allergies are no fun, and even the best breastfeeding practices cannot eliminate all the sequelae. Suggest reading Minchin's Food for Thought.  Good luck.

Linda Smith, Dayton OH

ATOM RSS1 RSS2