Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 11:57:46 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (8 lines)
To Pam Wiggins, Kathy Dettwyler, and all us other perverts, wierdos and zealots -

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! (yes, I'm shouting.) According to some change theorists, deliberate disconfirmation is the first step to change. For may years, breastfeeding advocates have minded our own business, gone about supporting BF quietly and behind closed doors, politely asked for support, etc etc etc. Why haven't we yet gotten mad about the discrimination, abuse, sabotage, and downright opposition we've faced for doing what comes naturally? Because we're mostly women, and we care about relationships. Which, of course, is what breastfeeding is all about.

So what if breastfeeding might be sexually pleasurable and even (gasp) lead to orgasm? I think it's a myth, but so what?  Why would it matter to anyone else that women derive pleasure, sexual and/or sensual, from breastfeeding? What does this say about the critics that would deny this to women, even if it is a myth? Do they WANT us to be in pain, sacrificing once again? If others experienced the kind of pain associated with poor breastfeeding, cures would be found immediately. All "systems" would be fixed to eliminate the causes and respond quickly to any sudden breast pain, just as quickly and thoroughly as we respond to sudden chest pain in adults.  IMHO, of course.

Linda Smith, Dayton OH - enjoying the looks on the faces of the teenagers who stopped to read all the breastfeeding bumper stickers on my car while I was parked at an ice cream shop last night. This happened last month too - one group of senior citizens stood there talking about my car for maybe 5 minutes while I watched from a distance. Couldn't hear what they were saying.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2