Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 22:01:48 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
unfortunately they may be correct. However if the mother goes to a lunchroom to nurse and the lunchroom is a public place that other friends, spouses, come to lunch with workers they don't have a good leg to stand on.

Many insurance policies for companies have clauses that prohibit on site child care.  It seems that the principles in the property and causuality business feel that having little ones about is to risky a business so therefore the prohibition against it.  Work sites don't have the same luxury as the mother and infant have a legal right to be there (therefore you can't prohibit nursing).

I am sure that the mother was trying to be cautious and ask for permission ahead of time.  One thing that I have learned is that "It is often better to BEG for forgiveness, than to ASK for permission." 

Depending on how hard the mother wants to push the issue there are a couple of other "tricks" you can try and do.

1. Get a note from her doctor (not the babies doctor, if it is a FP it would be the same one!) that it is necessary for her to nurse the baby intermittently to help prevent engorgement and maintain supply.  Supervisors often will back down when presented with A NOTE FROM THE DOCTOR.  I am asked for them all the time, for one thing or another, and as long as I can medically justify it I will write the note for the patient requesting it.

2.  Ask for clarification on the University's compliance officer for the family medical leave act.  My understanding is that the leave does not have to be taken DAYS at a time but can be broken into smaller segments, for example taking an hour off to go to a doctor appointment.  you might be able to stretch it to an extreme by taking a 15 minute break twice a day as part of your rights under the family medical leave act.  It is worth checking into.

3.  Be careful of the no food or drink prohibition in the library.  They may pull that one on you,  be ready for it.

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP

ATOM RSS1 RSS2