Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 09:32:52 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (5 lines)
In response to several fellow lactnetters who have written about herbal preparations:  I am just beginning my homoeopathic studies, and have learned from my homoeopathic physician (an MD) who has been tending our family for over 2 years now,  that "mixing" different herbs and minerals could be a problem, in that if a patient has a reaction - positive or negative - you would not know which elements in the mixture had caused the reaction.  Also, any kind of mint, coffee (not a problem with caffeine, but the coffee itself because coffee is a remedy), and camphor (even the fumes from fingernail polish) can antidote another remedy.   What is beneficial to some persons with certain constitutions could be detrimental to people with another type of constitution.  My doc takes an EXTENSIVE history for about 2 hours on the first visit before he gives any remedy at all.  It would therefore seem that we  need to be very cautious in "prescribing" herbal preparations.  I had a patient who attempted to dose herself and her own family.  The herbs she took herself affected her nursing infant so severely that acute allergic reactions developed. Fortunately for them, they were able to get in to see my  doc  who was able to get them straightened out.  I believe that I have read that chamomile given to infants has had a toxic affect in certain cases.  Has anyone else heard that?   Are there studies that tell us about how much Fenugreek is necessary for effectively increasing milk supply, and have there been any reported negative side effects?  
Thanks all,
Dani Hudspeth RN IBCLC
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2