Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 1996 23:31:58 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
teachable moment of the week - I hospitalized my 85 year old mother a few days ago - don't know what's wrong, maybe an intestinal obstruction. The lady in the next bed has her family with her all the time, including Jasmine, her 9 year old great-granddaughter. Jasmine brings Bertha, her ıCabbage Patch doll with her every day. The family is Afro-American, so is Bertha, however Betha's tiny,tiny ,baby (who has no name) is white - we haven't figured out who the father is as yet. Bertha was about to feed her baby and I said "Jasmine, if you are staying in this room with me, there is only one way to do it, otherwise Auntie Evi si going to get very upset". OK, now we have a Cabbage Patch doll who will only breastfeed, there was almost a relapse today to a you know what but I think we are over the hump.

Hey, what else can you doin the hospital after you've done the gift shop and the cafeteria!

AM really glad you are discussing the IBCLC thing - it has been bugging me for a while and I have also planted a few seeds. I think that a person with a high degree of knowledge such as most of you are from your posts are on an MA level. This can be ascertained in various ways and I don't think is a value judgement. What kills me is this 30 hour CERP thing to sit for the exam and supposed clinical hours.  When all of this started we were a small enough group, a majority of whom were LLL people, so there was some control and some strong basis for believing in stated qualifications. You could always find someone who know someone else. Things have definitely changed and I really feel that a way should be found to not only validate preliminarly qualifications but to make our credentials more respected.  Keep the posts coming and send suggestions to IBCLE.

Ros, I took the exam have taken it before and have also been on the exam committee, this one felt strange to me and I questioned several things. It may be an issue of the more you know and have been through the less certain you are of yourself because things have unexpected outcomes.

Enjoying coming back from the hospital to you guys, at least my daughter is back in Israel and doesn't have to go thru this routine. The one blessing is the my mother's live-in caretaker is with me and is keeping me company.

One of my sayings is 'dems de vicissitudes (sp?) of life"

EVI

ATOM RSS1 RSS2