Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 10:25:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Re: physician who denies candidiasis of nipples

Judy, I hope you are having a better day. I wish I had the brass bosoms to be so sure
of myself even when I'm wrong! (Reply from one MD to my pile of journal articles
refuting erroneous views she had: "I don't go by research or journal articles; I go by
my practice.")

To be fair, not all providers have access to the wealth of information we have.  I  have
made up handouts for conditions that I suspect providers need advice about
(candidiasis, jaundice, tongue-tie, breast surgery and continued lactation, where to
buy Tom Hale's book...) I send this info with moms who are en route to their health
providers. Sometimes I mail them when a woman reports back to me the way your
mom did. (Dear Dr....Thought you might find the enclosed useful...) These sheets
discuss diagnosis and treatment, with references provided. One page--it has to be
easy to read and assimilate. I can't say all providers are open to new learning, but
most have been. When they see that the information is based on fact and medical
research they tend to pay attention. I highly recommend that you try this. I have found
that over the years some of the little seeds I have sown have borne fruit.

Also, Judy, you might consider having this mom try gentian violet. Is it available
where you are? It is sold over-the-counter here and while I wouldn't use it as a first
choice I'd try it if a woman had no luck going through medical channels. There are
also other anti-fungal preparations she could try which are normally available without
a prescription, not to mention "alternative medicine" approaches. Might be worth a try
if she can't get a physician to help.

Margery Wilson, IBCLC
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA
USA

ATOM RSS1 RSS2