Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:39:00 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hi all
I agree with Phyllis and others who have written about the need to separate our 'hats'
for particular jobs. I am an LC (within my practice as a doctor) and also a Nursing
Mothers' Counsellor. I find that with my NMAA hat on, I offer mother-to-mother support,
but rarely do home visits (and then never charge) and am totally 'hands-off' as this
is what NMAA policy says. As an LC/Doctor, I see people mainly at my office, are more
hands-on, and have a professional relationship with a client - I can make suggestions
 and offer treatment that I could not do as a Counsellor plus have medical input and
advice on medication. As a Counsellor, I obviously use my LC knowledge, but have
to be careful about what I say about medical matters and treatment of things such
as allergy, lactose intolerance etc, as within NMAA we are giving information and
support, but not giving advice or information on medical matters, so sometimes
I have to 'act dumb' on the phone and suggest mothers contact their own doctor
for medical or pharmacy advice. It saves NMAA getting a reputation for giving
out medical advice and getting in the 'bad books' with health professionals.
Many Members of NMAA don't
know that I'm a doctor or LC, and I never refer people to myself. Other NMAA Counsellors
are great - they also respect the division of hats, and don't refer mothers to me without
making it plain to the mum which hat I am wearing. It can be tricky, especially with
relatively few LCs in private practice, and only two of us are doctors as well, but
it seems to work well most of the time.

Fiona Coombes
Perth Western Australia    (Queen of Hats today)

ATOM RSS1 RSS2