Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2024 18:07:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
>The drones she is mating with are all from Georgia queens. 

I would probably ask myself first what I know about bee drones. Basics. What is their distance range and overflight from the mother hive. What is their sexual maturity? What numbers of such distances apply to queens. How many bee colonies are there in such a radius of drone range in my area. How many drones routinely leave flying swarms that fly tens of miles. In the end, how many bee colonies do I really have to count, from which they practically participate in mating. And as a rule of thumb, unless I purposely breed drones in drone special colonies, chances are my drones don't participate in mating that much, since wild colonies are usually way ahead of their drone breeding.

Therefore. After extensive research around queen mating and drone properties.

As a rule, I would not be afraid to declare in the case of a small breeding of my queens that they are the first generation local queens raised by me, winterized by me to be sure, from last year's queens.

This is a common thing in uncontrolled mating of queens. And if someone really knows something about drones and queens, they have to agree with the local declaration of the local queen from the first generation.

The very involvement of epigenetics and selection are separate issues. After all, that pot is constantly boiling, and a local small statement does not necessarily mean solid properties of queens.

Gustav Palan

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2