Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2023 12:41:17 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
>Bees beard when the INSIDE of the hive lacks adequate ventilation, or the weather has become so hot and humid that even humans notice.

Most of the discussion here paints bearding as a bad thing that we should attempt to eliminate. I don't think we have evidence to support that. In my hot dry summer climate most bearding occurs in late afternoon and evening. I believe that most of those bees are loafing anyway and sitting out on the porch in the cool (mine aided with a class of wine) is just what I do after a hard day processing honey. Has anyone demonstrated that any important work either brood rearing or honey processing is going undone for lack of workers inside? I believe that most bearders are probably foragers, done for the day. We have discussed whether bees feel pain. I don't know for sure but they probably do. What I can see from long observation is that they do seek comfort. Thermal comfort after a mid winter cleansing flight basking in the warm sunshine on the top and sunny side of their hive before going back inside to the cool comfort of the beard outside on hot summer evenings. There is also the question of simple capacity as seasonal population varies. Peak population occurs  for me late summer some time past peak honey flow and while replacement young are still outpacing dyeing foragers. It can also indicate swarm preparation mid spring. It all adds up to an excess workforce that will balance out in a few weeks. 

I have solid bottoms and propped lids on hives of double deeps and up to 4 medium supers during the long flow and have not witnessed any lack of hive workers during inspections even when a sizeable beard is out front. Obviously we are not talking about blasting them out with noxious chemicals like formic, tymal, of repellent. That aside I really don't see a problem.

Paul

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2