Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2023 13:08:29 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
In this and co-similar threads we have discussed the minutia of hive configuration, thermoregulanion,  nectar processing, brood rearing, cluster behavior, invertebrate senescence, and no small amount of naval gazing. It is all informative and sometimes entertaining. It started with an ill-advised click bait headline about "how we have been so wrong for so long". A non beekeeping friend forwarded that article to me asking "is this nonsense?" I said yes!!!

Now we are at what I think is the meat of the matter. What measures matter? First survival, then overall health, productivity, operational efficiency, and the general well being of both the bees and the beekeeper. The basics of successful beekeeping are well known and time tested. Colonys that are well nourished, have low mites and other diseases under control, a healthy queen, and adequate housing will thrive in a great many different environments. Depending on local conditions some slight variation can be helpful but that will be most effectively known by trial and error. We well know that bees are quite adaptable. My personal opinion is that they are much more adaptable than adapted. Beekeepers maybe not so much. When I read of others methods that prove successful for them I will generally try it on a few colonys and see how it goes for me here. Most often I fall back on what has worked for close to 50 years in the craft but not always. You are never to old to learn (even if we do get to old to lift deeps full of honey) but one mush always measure new scientific revelations based on academic studies against proven success in the bee yard. 

Paul

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2