Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2022 16:38:48 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I have a colleague who is looking for references that may state that when temperatures increase or water becomes limited, that a colony shifts its nectar/pollen force to foraging for water. She is on a task force who is determining if "global warming" is having effects on plant pollination, and this is one of the factors that has been brought up recently.  I know that there is no specific research which has been done that would state this as an effect of "global warming", but I have seen references that state that in general when there is an increase demand for water the hive possible could direct more bee force from food foraging to foraging for water to keep brood cool.

I have seen some reference to the book "Wisdom of the Hive" by Tom Seeley but have not yet tried to obtain a copy of it to read if it could possibly support this hypothesis.

I am also open if there is research/information that states that there is a certain populations of worker bees that are assigned water foraging in a colony and no matter the increase in temperature or demand the colony does not redirect the foraging force from nectar/pollen to foraging to water. This information is just as critical to pass on to this task force.
Thank you for your assistance on this subject.

Steven J Hanlin
North Central Region Plant Introduction Station
Iowa State University

This electronic message contains information generated by the USDA solely for the intended recipients. Any unauthorized interception of this message or the use or disclosure of the information it contains may violate the law and subject the violator to civil or criminal penalties. If you believe you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete the email immediately.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2