Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2022 01:53:55 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (9 lines)
Seems like a perfectly normal finding to me.  In order to degrade toxins you need to turn some gene or genes on from their normal off state.  When turned on they degrade anything in sight.  A human example is the pharmaceutical use of DDT in some acute poisoning cases.  By dosing the patient with rather large doses of DDT you turn on a bunch of genes aimed at degrading the DDT and in the process also degrade the acute poison fast enough you can prevent the person from dying from the poison.  DDT had a US FDA drug registration for such use the last time I checked which I will admit was 20 years ago.  Like wise there was a report a few years ago that bees degraded pesticides much faster when also dosed with some other substance.  Maybe someone else remembers the details of what was dosed?  I do not as it seemed like such an expected result it had no particular noteworthiness to me.  There are probably thousands of examples known by now where such degradations happen when an organism is exposed to a second toxin.  It is common enough to not be generally viewed as worth talking about by people that understand how genes work and know some toxicology.  It can make good political press though as cases like the one listed can cause those with little technical knowledge in this area to get on some political horse and with luck donate money to some cause.

Dick

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2