Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 2024 12:29:05 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Iinteresting exploration. Thanks.

As for changes in climate, although there may be possible to draw a discernible underlying trend line, its direction and slope will vary considerably depending on the time-frame and time-span chosen.  Even then, obviously that increase or decrease in that trend is far less significant in any particular year than the weather variability for that date, expect for high or low extremes that break records for that place and time.  

We had a recent thread on that topic and we saw swings back and forth in bloom dates  as wide as a month in just one location.  For that matter, apple bloom is two weeks late this year from what I recall over 50 years here in Central Alberta.

So, assuming that the bees manage quite well in many climates, the trend is not logically an issue, but extremes can be challenging, as they always have.  I am sure Pete can dig up quotes from some beekeeper back in the 1800s complaining about a freak freeze, an unusually and cataclysmic hot, dry season, or the like.  

I wonder if the 'bots know about beekeeping in the 1800s and before or are fed mostly current material.

I'll have to ask.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2