Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2023 09:21:40 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
> Young worker bees move away from light. 

How was this behavior observed?  It is an interesting claim, but it is not a behavior I've noticed myself, despite poking about in hives for multiple decades.

> A plant or animal can move away from any number of things, because evolution has coded into their genes that it is of benefit for them to do so.
> But does that mean that we can use the term "discomfort"?

One can chose any level of mechanistic views one wants - my fingertips have sensors that report to my brain that the hot stove I just touched is destroying skin cells on my fingertips, and it has been coded into my genetic makeup that I should do my best at self-preservation, so I reflexively pull my hand away, perhaps before I even have intellectually processed the sensation as "pain" and "discomfort".  But the pain and discomfort continues, even AFTER I have removed my hand?  Why?  Because damage has been done, so the nerves continue to report the damage.  Do I call in "pain" and "discomfort"?  Yes!  Do other living things react in the same manner?  Ones that can move (plants are very slow about this) also seem to.  Animals capable of sound production are very vocal in their expressions of discomfort.

But do bees have nervous systems that report "discomfort" and "pain" to their tiny little bee brains?  Well, here's a bee, squeeze it in the palm of your hand and find out! 

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2