Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2023 22:44:58 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
>... how to isolate the swarms out of feral colonies from the swarms out of managed...

As they say, ' the proof is in the puddin'.

Over the past 5 years of my TF experiment here in the hot corner of Kentucky I have hived or trapped-out over 75 swarms, many of indeterminate origin.

Some I gather due to optimism about their bona fides given their relatively remote locale, and some I do as my civic duty given that I am the only local beekeeper who is on our state's beekeeper association swarm call list for my home county.

Once home, I monitor them all for mite population growth and I have been at times surprised by the results.

The smaller, darker bees gathered up from remote parts tend to perform well and the bigger yellow bees from more populated areas tend to perform poorly.

But every once in awhile I'll pick up a suburban swarm from an older established neighborhood that do great. I hived a prime and cast swarm from a tree colony this spring that look like they might fit into this category.

The other theme I have observed around here is that colonies in tree cavities tend to occupy rather small volumes- many I have trapped-out have occupied volumes no larger than a volleyball.

In fact, I actually watched a swarm take up residence in a small cavity in a sycamore immediately behind one of my apiary line ups last week- glad to have a home tree colony to observe up close.

Going to look at a tree colony tomorrow night that the owner says have been in the tree for at least the two years they've lived at the residence- they are 12' up and causing no trouble so I am hopeful I can convince them to leave 'em bee.

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2