Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2018 15:21:43 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Hi all, 

Here are some differences between Ameda and Medela. This comparison may also help to evaluate other brands as well.

1. Universal or varied Kits
--Medela has moms use a different kit for every pump (kit for hospital grade symphony is different from kit for Pump in Style through insurance, etc.). Ameda offers one universal kit for all of their pumps. I prefer Ameda for this because I feel it's less wasteful (we all know how many hospital kits get tossed after discharge), and it's less confusing for patients who begin to pump in the hospital but then have to learn a new kit at home for a different pump. If you have Ameda in the hospital, your patients can have that hospital kit as a spare to use on their Ameda pump at home. Having a spare kit is AMAZING for tired moms, and they usually cost $50+ to buy.

2. Closed vs. open kit
--This determines the cleanliness of your kit, your milk, and the air in contact with your milk. HUGE factor for anyone with a NICU, in my opinion. As you follow the flow of suction from mom to the pump, many kits have a barrier somewhere that stops milk and condensation (which turns into mold) from going further into the pump. This barrier is usually a silicone piece that moves with each cycle or 'suck'. The location of this barrier is crucial to determining which parts and pieces should be washed, and which stay clean. Ameda has a closed kit, and the diaphragm at the top of the kit prevents milk or moisture from entering tubing or the pump. This means only 4 parts to wash each time and then you KNOW you're using a fully clean system. Medela's hospital-grade symphony is technically considered 'closed' but it's not, really. The symphony kit has their diaphragms or barriers at the pump (the little yellow domes that snap into the symphony), so milk and moisture can get into the into the tubing, but stop before entering the pump. So the pump is 'closed' but the tubing is 'open'. Unless the tubing for the symphony kit is washed every time (which no one does and I don't blame them), there is no way to ensure that the system is truly clean and has not been exposed to mold. I much prefer a fully closed system like Ameda and guaranteed clean tubing for safety. 

Some personal pumps like the Medela Pump In Style have no barrier at all, which means mold grows in the pump and then those mold spores are exposed to the suctioned air and to your milk each time....don't even get me started on how disappointed I am that an open system like this even exists. Big design flaw and safety factor, in my opinion. But you asked about hospital pumps so I'll focus on that.

3. Availability of spare parts and pieces
--I think this may vary from town to town. Some hospitals stock spare parts in their gift shops, which I think is a great solution because they are available 7 days a week and moms know where to go. Babies R Us is now a thing of the past. Buy Buy Baby seems to only be in bigger towns. Lots is available online, but I understand that many times you just can't wait for shipping. Medela seems to be available at Target, so they may win this one? Most kits include spares of the crucial components like membranes/valves. Larger flanges, however, are usually not available even at Target so you're still stuck with waiting for shipping unless your hospital stocks these. Hopefully your hospital stocks spare parts, whichever brand you use.

4. WHO Code compliance
--Ameda is a code-compliant company. Medela is not. 

5. Ease of use of Ameda Platinum vs. Medela Symphony
--Medela pump is more hands-off and Ameda is more hands-on. Medela pump automatically switches to let-down mode after 2 minutes. This is great if your body responds to this at that time, and also helpful for moms who are overwhelmed with everything and just want to auto-pilot the process. Ameda Platinum requires mom to push buttons to adjust speed slower for let-down mode. This can be tricky at first, but for moms who let down sooner or later than 2 min exactly, or who can stimulate multiple let-downs for more milk, having the customizability is nice. One more factor is that the Ameda Platinum is back-lit and has a TIMER. This has nothing to do with milk production and everything to do with not losing your mind at 2am. I love, love, love the timer. And the back-lit screens means you can pump in a dimly lit hospital room without having to turn on all lighting. But again, that's convenience. Another difference is the suction setting. I believe the symphony is a dial, but the platinum is numbered 1-100% in increments of 1. So you can really fine tune to get an effective but comfy suction level, and that level has a number which is easy for moms to remember.

6. Flange sizing
--Many moms fit into standard 24mm/25mm size flanges, but there are some that need a VERY different size. Medela offers 21, 24, 27, 34, 36mm size flanges. Ameda offers 21, 22.5, 25, 28.5, 30.5, 32.5, and 36mm size flanges. Finding the right size determines comfort and milk flow. 

7. Accessories
--You may love gel pads from one company or nursing pads from another company, and may have to use the same brand accessories that you have for pumps. I don't know of huge differences in the disposable nursing pads to be honest. Medela gel pads are sticky and last for 1-2 days. Ameda gel pads are not sticky and last 6-7 days. 

Sorry this was so long but I hope this was helpful. After working in 5 hospitals that all used the Medela symphony,  and then working for Ameda (no longer employed by Ameda), I absolutely recommend Ameda, primarily because you guarantee your patients mold-free pumping with Ameda. I don't think anything else matters more than that safety factor.

Ashley Fore, RN, MSN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2