Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2021 21:09:52 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
Hi all,Sorry, I should've clarified, the rep gave the study to my boss who can't find it now. This was awhile ago. I hesitate to email the rep because once these formula reps get your email they are relentless. If there is a legitimate study showing it works better over some other brand, I have no problem using it for the formula feeding babies. I just want to know if it was really free from bias or if it is one of their studies that they funded, i.e. a commercial. These babies that are withdrawing from opiates have so many feeding problems initially. Of course breast milk is best for babies, but not all moms choose to breast feed or express milk. And of course we have many patients who give birth to addicted babies and mom is still using drugs and so are not ok to breastfeed. These poor babies really have an awful time the first few weeks whether its subutex, methadone or heroin.  
We also use donor milk and we try to get the moms to pick donor milk. But not all of them do. I have found several studies showing better outcomes on breast milk of course. 

I found one study that says they compared Similac sensitive to regular similac and found no difference in morphine dosages for the babies. Lactose-free infant formula does not change outcomes of neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS): a randomized clinical trial - PubMed

| 
| 
| 
|  |  |

|

|
| 
|  | 
Lactose-free infant formula does not change outcomes of neonatal abstine...

Lactose-free vs. lactose-containing infant formula did not change the outcomes of infants with NAS.
 |

|

|

But our Pediatricians are saying they were told that there is an improvement in skin excoriation in babies on the Similac sensitive version? Just wondered if anyone else is using this in the nursery or has heard of the study. Thanks again.
Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2