Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2017 02:36:32 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Sometimes I take on the role of non-IBCLC nutritionist (my formal degree is in Dietetics), but what I have gained from all of you and others in this never-ending journey of learning has helped in that "other" role as well; such was the case today.  A no longer breastfeeding mom came in with a 3 month old baby. Normally, I would not seen these babies, but we were short staffed. He was 90% weight/height at birth, dropped to 30% at 2 months, then 1% today.  Red flag.  First time I had met her.  Baby spitting up ALL the time - mom had on Enfamil, then Enfamil AR, still not better.  Then started adding rice cereal on top of that to formula (to help even more with spit up or so she was told), still not better.  Of course baby constipated now.  I asked mom if she would mind if I looked under his tongue.  She obliged.  Picked up on what appeared to be a TT - rather thick at that.  Mom said "somebody in my family - a cousin had one of those".  I mentioned to mom I was quite concerned about the baby's growth (he did not look good at all) and would she please have him see the pediatrician again right away and ask about the possibility of a TT affecting his suck, etc. causing spitting up and issues with weight gain.  Mom said she would.  I told her to call me.  I plan on calling her too.  Sometimes, what we learn in one area can be transferred to another.   We did not get into to how everything went at birth, but sore nipples or poor latch were not an issue for this mom - she was not breastfeeding. BUT, the baby did have signs of a classic TT - which may not have been a topic discussed, ever. Failure to Thrive was on my radar. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2