Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2018 12:56:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
I have reviewed the archives on this subject, but not much is available. Does anyone have experience with a submucosal soft palate cleft in a newborn?  I have seen a  2 week old who is feeding and growing adequately due to Mom's good supply, but from day 5 or so has frequent nasal regurgitation, several times daily of a significant volume that occurs soon after feeding while burping and 30 or more minutes after (small oozing). She shows no signs of distress with any of it. We are doing upright positioning and burping frequently. Parents had gone to peds in first week with this concern. I am told MD looked with penlight but felt all was wnl. I did gentle digital exam and looked using a penlight, but baby was very sleepy and not interested in sucking on my finger to evaluate suck, tongue movement. Nothing appears out of the norm. No bifid uvula, has great tongue lift and extension. She will see peds again and request ENT referral.  I realize this doesn't always need treatment, but curious if there are any who have seen the progression of how this can affect the newborn. I am aware that this often is missed until there are speech issues or chronic ear infections. If no treatment, what other ways can we prevent these problems? Thanks for your input, Sharon Curtin-Bottomley RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2