Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2017 11:27:05 -0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (173 lines)
I am trying to purchase class 2 scales for my private practice but can't find any in the UK. Does anyone have any advice? My scales only measure to 10g which is not accurate enough for newborns.

Many thanks. Rosie Gay IBCLC

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of LACTNET automatic digest system
Sent: 05 January 2017 05:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: LACTNET Digest - 3 Jan 2017 to 4 Jan 2017 (#2017-4)

There are 5 messages totaling 206 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

1. Delayed lactogenesis
  2. Colostrum volume
  3. Guidelines infant fed wrong milk
  4. Breast pumps in New Zealand
  5. mom with low milk supply

Lactnet Archives are at:
LACTNET Archives http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html
To Manage your Subscription, ie go nomail, index, etc, go to:
http://community.lsoft.com/archives/lactnet.html

Thanks!

LACTNET Facilitators
 Kathleen B. Bruce RN, BSN, IBCLC
 Rachel Myr, midwife, IBCLC
 Kathy Koch PhD
 Linda Pohl
 Karleen Gribble PhD
 Norma Ritter, IBCLC
 Nina Berry PhD

Questions to [log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Jan 2017 08:42:14 +0000
Subject: Delayed lactogenesis

Did the OB do any type of speculum exam or uterine massage? It makes me suspicious that he did if she had increased bleeding since exam.  Not to be cynical but could the OB have expressed some small fragment that might have caused this delay in milk production and maybe be trying to cover his you know what and not mention to your client? I hate to be cynical,  but the delay and then subsequent increased bleeding and cramping is making me suspicious. Tricia shamblin,  RN, IBCLC

COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:03:31 +0000
Subject: Colostrum volume

I work in Mother/baby in a hospital and would love some advice about colostrum expression during the first 48 hours especially. Does anyone see a decrease in the amount of colostrum that women can express on day 2? I'm seeing this so often that I wonder if this might be normal. We typically advise hand expression for the first 24 hours for most women because they get a lot more than with the pump. And it usually goes down day 2 and then up on day 3.
What would you say is the average amount you see women hand expressing on the first day?  I see typically less than 2 ml. But it varies, frequently less and rarely more.  I've seen a lot of protocols recommending supplements of 5 or 10 mls colostrum for feeding problems,  but hardly ever see women express that much. How much do you supplement with? I saw someone here post once that on day one her patients typically get 45 mls, am I doing something wrong? I think when we consider supplement volumes,  we shouldn't just look at stomach size,  but more at what is typical expression volume. How much does a breast typical produce is a better question than what is the most we can fit in the stomach, right? If a baby doesn't latch after delivery,  when do you begin hand expression?  12 hours? 24? We want HE right away for sick babies.  But I mean for healthy,  term babies that just need a little time. Are hospital grade breast pumps really beneficial for milk production over hand expression because we almost always get more milk from HE? And I was reading that a lot of the pro-pumping research was funded by breast pump companies. I'm getting disillusioned with breast pumps since typically we see women use them,  get less milk than with HE and then want to supplement with formula. But they are so convinced they need them. Sometimes it hard to get them to do HE. Thank you for your advice!
Tricia Shamblin,  RN, IBCLC

COMMANDS:

Date:    Wed, 4 Jan 2017 09:17:16 +0000
Subject: Guidelines infant fed wrong milk

I think that HMBANA might have a sample policy in their guidelines for milk storage. Does anyone know? Tricia shamblin

Date:    Mon, 26 Dec 2016 15:25:09 -0500
Subject: Milk misadministration guidelines

Hello wise ones, and happy holidays!

I work as a lactation consultant in a hospital. I'm currently working with our hospital's infection prevention and control department to put together hospital guidelines on what to do when one baby is accidentally fed milk expressed by another mother. I've looked to groups like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine, the Human Milk Banking Association of North America, and the California Perinatal Quality Care Collaborative for recommendations or sample policies. I've also looked online for other hospitals' policies and searched the Lactnet archives. From the information that I've found so far, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to how blood testing should proceed. My specific questions are: 

COMMANDS:

Date:    Wed, 4 Jan 2017 21:37:39 +1000
Subject: Breast pumps in New Zealand

Toni,

Is your niece in New Zealand the mother of a premature baby still in hospital? If not, and if the idea of a breast pump is more a matter of "just in case", sending her some links to videos on hand-expressing would be more useful. For instance:
Dr Jane Morton at Standford's video clip -: newborn.stanford.edu www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZViuYKX5LU

Many years ago a New Zealand agricultural scientist named Whittlestone designed a pump for women who needed an efficient one for frequent use. I believe small numbers were made for specific orders.  Today, there would be a number of other brands that are as efficiently as brands and models you are familiar with in the US. Your niece, if she has the need of an industrial -grade pump for frequent use, can ask the local La Leche League or her Plunket nurse  (a uniquely NZ service).

Does she really have to go back to work very early - or does she have more generous maternity leave in New Zealand? Many countries do have maternity leave provisions now, and advice on the local situation should b e easily available so she knows what her entitlements are.

Making contact with the local La Leche League is also a good way to meet other mothers and make friends in a new country. Perhaps your niece has done this already?

Virginia

Dr Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA Private Practice Lactation Consultant Ipswich, Queensland, Australia

COMMANDS:

Date:    Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:27:25 -0500
Subject: Re: mom with low milk supply

Hi all

I just want to clarify that calling late preterm babies "the great pretenders" is not my term, I have borrowed it from Dr Jane Morton I believe, who I first heard use the term at a conference, in an article, or in a video,

thanks,
Sonya
who has obviously absorbed so much knowledge from so many sources, the sources are starting to blur...

COMMANDS:

End of LACTNET Digest - 3 Jan 2017 to 4 Jan 2017 (#2017-4)

COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2