Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 2020 13:13:17 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
I'm straightening files to make it easier to file new articles Found one article from 1953.  Dr Harold  K. Waller was up-dating earlier articles (1940, 1944) He lists 7 reasons for failure.  Just let me say what was old is new! 1. Worry 2. Maternal unwillingness 3. Loss of milk from no ascertainable cause 4. Ignorance and mismanagement  5. Separation of mother and child 6. Malformation of the nipples 7. The child's refusal or inability to suck.  I think #4 & 5 continue to be most significant.

Dr Waller goes on to say " while I subscribe to the importance of all of these, the order in which they were placed was unexpected.  It was clear both midwives and health visitors attached most significance to factors such as anxiety and unwillingness to undertake the task of breastfeeding, and they were scarcely less emphatic about the responsibility of ignorance and mismanagement."  He went on to say 4 reasons were sociological and 3 were physiological.
He goes on to  discuss the Lying-in period (back then it was 7 days in the hospital.) and the first few weeks. He felt early introduction of the bottle lead to end of lactation by the time a baby was 1 month old.
Anyway I just found it interesting.  We need more and more ed for HCPs (all types :-) and better prenatal ed for parents.   Pat in SNJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2