Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jan 2017 14:53:50 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Back in the late 1970's and early 1980's, before AIDS and HIV were known, I was a La Leche League Leader in a small Ontario city. The hospital routinely called me when they had a sick or premature baby who they felt would benefit from donated milk, and I would call around to the mothers in our group to see who could donate milk. Often I donated my own milk - always hand-expressed because I didn't have a pump. I like thinking about all the babies who might have been a bit healthier because of my milk!
Once I visited a friend who'd had a premature baby in a hospital in a neighbouring city. I had my own baby with me, of course. When the staff found out I was breastfeeding, they asked if I'd mind pumping some milk for their NICU babies, and quickly ushered me into a room with a pump! That was not unusual in those days!
That all changed once people became aware of the possibility of transmitting serious illnesses like HIV. But I think it helps to remember that there was a fairly recent time when hospitals were not so scared of human milk. 
When my first grandson was born prematurely, we naturally wanted him to have only human milk. We drafted a letter stating that if his mother didn't produce enough milk, we would bring in donated milk for him, from donors we would personally screen, and that we would take all responsibility for any negative outcomes. The staff took the letter off and presumably showed it to their legal people, and came back to us saying that if it became necessary, we could bring in milk for the baby. Fortunately, my daughter-in-law produced plenty of milk and it wasn't necessary. But I wonder if a similar letter could be drafted by the hospital, that would cover their concerns about risk, so that parents could sign it if they chose?
Teresa

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2