Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2016 11:32:41 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I have searched the archives for updated info and I only see posts from 1997-2005. 

I have not seen this for many years but I have a mom 1 week postpartum. Three days ago, she started pumping after breastfeeding to provide EBM supplement for her 37 weeker on home phototherapy and not gaining. Milk supply is adequate but she started getting long white strings of milk solids coming from one nipple. When she finishes pumping, there is a clump of clearish mucus. I observed this today. She has no signs of mastitis or yeast or blebs on nipple (just a tiny scab). She had some nipple trauma on that side only and started Mupirocin and Betamethasone creams on it 3 days ago. The scab is tiny now. She said this stringy/mucus milk with another baby but she didn't breastfeed very long due to other reasons.

I used to see the mucus and strings on exclusive pumpers when I work in a NICU years ago. It seems that it just resolved and those moms weren't diagnosed with mastitis or abcesses. 

Any ideas? I suggested Lecithin and told her I'd research it.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2