Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2016 09:16:22 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
 Agree with Cindy, over the years I've met a few of these babies :-) and  it does break mom's heart. Pat in SNJ

Dear Molly, 
Several good ideas have been shared here. I would like to propose another perspective. Sometimes babies wean on their own before the one-year recommended time. They may be early walkers/talkers and too busy. They may have embraced the independence of solid foods and self-feeding. They may be very proficient with a cup. They may be very interested in rocking, snuggling, etc. but just not interested in nursing anymore. It is heart breaking for mothers who have a goal in mind, especially in our goal-driven society, yet we need to remember who this is for and whose goals matter most - the baby's. I speak from experience as our first child - who did not have bottles (once out of the hospital nursery - a different story) - self-weaned at around 11 months old. He was just nursing at night by that time and was resisting all efforts to settle down and nurse. My dear husband suggested just rocking to calm him and then see what he would do, since he obviously didn't want to nurse at that point. The little stinker (baby, not husband) snuggled up on my shoulder and went to sleep and never nursed again. So I know weaning before a year of age can happen in a very natural, unconfused way. Not often - but it can and does happen. 

Again, just another perspective to consider, 

Cindy Garrison BS IBCLC 
practicing in Pittsburgh, PA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2