Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 2015 16:39:39 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
It seems to me that we need to be very careful when we are discussing mothers weaning due to the risk of medications/drugs entering breastmilk and causing harm to the infant.  Of course, it is important to check resources such as Hale and the Infant Risk Center.  However, even prior to that we need to take inventory of our mental approach to any situation where someone is concerned that breastfeeding is MORE risky than weaning.  I go into any situation with the assumption that breastfeeding is the normal, and necessary way that infants should feed.  Overcoming this basic human need requires substantial evidence.  Without evidence, a *theoretical* risk, even if compelling, is just that-- theoretical.   Advising a mother to stop breastfeeding for a theoretical risk, and then weaning baby onto artificial baby milk-- with thousands of research articles of KNOWN risks-- seems to be a careless, negligent recommendation.  

My concern for a mother using marijuana is first, does the infant have a sober caretaker when she is high?  Second, is mother aware of literature on *theoretical* risks to neurological development (remember, we have many studies with KNOWN risks of neurological impairment with ABM), so she can make informed choices about use?  Third, can we reduce infant's exposure by reducing frequency of mother's use of marijuana during the time she will be breastfeeding?

I find it fascinating that so many health care providers are eager to push weaning when there is but a theoretical risk of some adverse effect with continued breastfeeding, but yet, feel that a substance like ABM with so much known risk is much safer.  It makes my brain want to explode.

Leanna Moore Watson, BS, IBCLC

California

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2