Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 2015 08:56:56 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Hi cathleen. I agree this is a concerning situation. The baby is well below birthweight at 2.5 weeks. Are the scales reliable? Was the birthweight accurate? I ask because with such slow gain (or rather, persistent loss) you'd expect to see other signs of lack of well-being. From what you say, the baby seems ok. What were the interim weights? It would be useful to know what the weights were between birth and day 13 and what the baby's other signs were. 

Have you thought about not feeding two hourly but just 'ad lib' with skin to skin as much as possible, with switch nursing when possible, and responsive feeding whenever? Feeding two hourly on a schedule like this means the mother is sometimes trying to feed when the baby is not interested. Ad lib feeding with switching and skin to skin would prob result in more 'visits' to the breast overall. 

I am not convinced of the benefit of test weighing in this situation. You get a snapshot of what happened on one occasion only, which can over or under estimate total intake. 

In any case something is clearly worth investigating with the baby's intake, and test weights are not needed to indicate this.....but I'd still start with questions about the scales and the accuracy of the person who weighed the baby, too. Its a strange set of weights in a well baby. 

Heather Welford Neil , UK

Sent from my iPad

> On 1 Sep 2015, at 8:32 pm, Cathleen Redus <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> Hello Wise ones,
> 
> I'm a new LC and have this perplexing case, I'd like to get your feedback on. PTP Mom is 35, first baby, no red flags in hx, no infertility issues.  unplanned C/S due to breech.  Breasts are symmetrical and round. Breast changes in Preg. Noticed heaviness and full feeling around day 3.  Baby is 17 days old, BW: 7# 12 , weight at 13 days 7# 3, Weight at 16 days 7# 3.2. Baby feeding 10 times in 24/hrs. Baby having 4 wets and 3 stools a day. Pre/post feeding weight on day 13 showed 1oz transfer in 20 minutes.  Plan for next 2-3 days -Had mother nurse every 2 hours, pump both breasts for 15 minutes post feeding and feed back expressed milk, take galactogogues as directed on pkg (she chose fenugreek).  3 days later only 0.2 weight gain.  Mother reports 0.5 to 2 oz pumping post feeding depending on time of day and how well baby nurses.  After ped. visit on day 16 she did a 12 hour pump test with exclusive pumping during that time. total yield was 8.5 ounces. If multiplied by 2 that is 17 oz in 24 hrs but baby needs are 19.2.  I assessed the baby for tongue tie at my initial visit.  There is a possible posterior tongue tie but I'm not the best at seeing these yet.  If the baby's suck has affected this wouldn't we see an increase in supply with the pumping, why didn't the moms supply increase substantially with the extra pumping and galactogogues?  What am I missing? TIA
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2