Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Oct 2015 08:30:22 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Once upon a time I thought nothing about a pregnant or nursing mother using marijuana....and then I started reading research articles and my view of marijuana use during pregnancy and breastfeeding changed. I readily admit that there is overwhelming evidence re: alcohol use and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, however, we don't know what the threshhold is therefore there is a blanket statement of not using alcohol while pregnant. And, yes, that is the logic I use re: breastfeeding and marijuana use. However, based on the evidence available, mothers need to be educated on what we do know and therefore abstain from marijuana use. 
In your post, I believe you are referring to MARIJUANA PREGNANCY AND BREASTFEEDING GUIDANCDE FOR COLORADO HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS, March 18, 2015, Prenatal Visits. I would like to refer all to reading that publication because it also refers to teaching points for breastfeeding and marijuana use. Points listed in the post are geared to the client and is preceded with more concrete comments for the Health Care Provider.
I have asked about marijuana and breastfeeding in 2014 and 2015 and the message has been, it's no big deal. Why is it so important that a pregnant or nursing mother be able to use marijuana? Aren't we supposed to be protecting our most innocent, the newborn and our children in general? Do we really want to wait until until we have more concrete evidence? How many babies will have been affected by then?
Christine, BSN, RN, IBLC
Menomonee Falls, WI

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2