Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:27:50 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I was encouraged to join Lactnet by my dear friend and mentor Debbie Costello.  I was at the time a PNP in her daughters' pediatric practice.  It was probably around 1995.  She was encouraging me to pursue lactation certification, more clearly seeing the work I was meant to be doing better than I.  She reasoned that I would learn so much from the questions posed and the replies and she was so right.  I still save the digests if I am too busy to make sure I don't miss anything.  I also recommend Lactnet to those I mentor.  I have joined the Facebook group and have posted a difficult case after it received almost no response here.   It can be sort of flinty over there, and I don't welcome the drama but responses do come in quickly.

My most memorable post was from very early on.  An LC was posting about a firm area in a woman's breast (I'll never get the details right so won't even try-it was long ago) and something in her description hit a nerve with the readers.  She was advised to have the woman see her physician immediately and invasive carcinoma was diagnosed.  It still gives me chills to think about it.  I do not know the course of the mother's illness and whether she survived but I do know that I was so very impressed by the value of collegiality in this profession where there are so few peers locally one can turn to for advice on the tough cases.

I'm tickled to hear Liz Brooks say she was nervous to hit "send" on the first post.  Me too, for sure.  And I don't post much, but I hope this forum will stay up and running.  It's so important.

Mary

Mary Ryngaert ARNP IBCLC
UF Center for Breastfeeding and Newborns

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2