Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Message-ID:
Sender:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
"Mary Jozwiak BS, IBCLC, RLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
An interesting situation. The hormones released during lactation are not exclusive to lactation, however. If you would be able to ask her if she has had these symptoms after orgasm, , immediately after childbirth, or even after a satisfying meal as these all seem to promote the release of oxytocin and prolactin. If childbirth itself, and/or orgasm doesn't cause the symptoms, it is highly unlikely, I'm guessing that the symptoms are due to the hormones released during breastfeeding. The amount of Oxytocin are highest in a woman's lifetime after natural vaginal birth and high even after surgical birth. 

Although some women do experience mood changes, nausea, tearfulness during ejection reflex (and many who do report similar symptoms at least part of the time after orgasm) it is not considered an "allergy." These symptoms usually fade in a few weeks. 

Could anxiety be a causative factor in her symptoms? 

Is it possible it is something else causing the symptoms? Perhaps a new laundry detergent (many women buy new "Baby clothes detergents" to wash their baby's clothes) or allergy to something in the baby's diapers, or something like that? (I, myself, developed severe eczema on my hands, particularly my left hand after my 3rd baby was born. It turns out I was allergic to a laundry additive used to soften water, which made my baby's clothes cleaner. I eliminated the additive and the eczema cleared up.) 

I'm sure an allergist could test her for oxytocin and prolactin allergy, but I'm not sure where the allergist would obtain the chemicals. Is it even possible to exhibit a histamine reaction to a hormone made by the body? Perhaps asking an allergist would be helpful. 

Good luck. 

Warmly,

Mary Jozwiak, IBCLC, RLC 
Lactation Consultant, Breastfeeding Clinic Leader, Breastfeeding 101 Class Instructor, Post partum doula, Warmline Consultant 
Birthwaysinc
Chicago IL 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2