Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jul 2015 07:59:37 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
PTP: I have been trying to help a family who have an infant born at 38 and 3 days; induced due to PUH and IUGR. Birth weight was 5lbs 6oz. He received 22cal formula for the first couple of days until her milk came in.  He is now 4 weeks old and has seemingly been in pain off and on. Initially, thought he needed time to grow and get stronger.  He arches his back a lot and has long bouts of crying. Parents can distinguish between cries and know when it is just gas or pain. I have been to the house 3 times; only able to observe one 10 minute nursing with .5oz transfer. He gets stressed when feedings are initiated by breast or bottle, though bottle less so. His output and weight are great because parents tend to him constantly, feeding small amounts during crying jags and anywhere from 3-4oz when he isn't crying. They have just started probiotics and eliminated dairy.  He has an ULT and Type II tongue tie. Mom has over supply due to a lot of pumping. His feeds are mixed (not high lactose) because of all of the bottle feeding. He doesn't spit up much.  I have advised family to discuss possible underlying cause with pediatrician and referred to a Frenulum clinic for evaluation. 

I am hoping that great minds of this community can help me figure out other possibilities for this baby's behavior. I am very concerned about the exhaustion both physically and mentally that this family is experiencing. I am also fearful that this baby will become completely adverse to nursing and even eating in general.

Thank you to all who responded to previous post about possible bacterial infection. I haven't heard back from the mother yet about her results but fingers are crossed. 😉

Wendy Jordan, BS, IBCLC

Private Practice LC

www.seacoastlactation.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2