Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 19:31:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I'd like to comment briefly on Pamela's post on the subject with regards to Nancy Mohrbacher's Blog article:  Tongue and Lip Ties:  root causes or red herrings?

I think Nancy brings up some excellent and interesting thoughts regarding the seemingly increase incidence in TT and LT babies and whether or not it's becoming an "epidemic".

I don't feel that those knowledgeable in diagnosing and properly trained in releasing a TT are necessarily misdiagnosing/mistreating or even over diagnosing.  Unfortunately there are actually imo very few who truly know how to correctly diagnose, use a laser instead of clipping, properly clip, what to teach mothers about baby mouth care after the release, etc.  There are actually many physicians in my area anyway who think the entire idea of TT and LT and possible connection to breastfeeding problems is bunk!  As Nancy shared a comment from a colleague, I think perhaps the pattern we're seeing are mothers with access to technology in acquiring information and the sharing of information far beyond what was once found only at a group LaLeche League meeting or conference or in an IBCLC's office, who are self-diagnosing more and more and perhaps looking for problems because the discussion is "out there" - as we see so often in many areas of health care today - people self-diagnosing, requesting unnecessary and dangerous procedures, etc all because they read about it somewhere. IMO Nancy's blog speaks of the all more important reason to remind mothers during OB visits, when they deliver in the hospital, etc. to discuss breastfeeding concerns with an IBCLC or other knowledgeable breastfeeding professional, counselor or LLLeader and that attending a breastfeeding support group such as LLL during pregnancy can be invaluable!

I do think it's important for more physicians, dentists and other hcp's to be trained in diagnosing and treating of TT and LT in infants.  What do others think?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2