Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 16:03:56 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (44 lines)
Hey Tina,

I noticed you didn't get much response to your query about gut microbiota so I am passing on some of my favorite references...I have a special interest in this topic as I follow an Ayurvedic lifestyle/diet. Ayurvedic practitioners have been advocating for healthy gut flora for about 6,000 years or so, and science is just now catching up!

If you go to www.sciencedaily.com you can search for the following articles by title and you can read a write-up of each of them. To make this post relate to lactation there are even several that are directly related to breastfeeding. Enjoy!

Holly McSpadden, IBCLC

Zhongyi Chen, Lilu Guo, Yongqin Zhang, Rosemary L. Walzem, Julie S. Pendergast, Richard L. Printz, Lindsey C. Morris, Elena Matafonova, Xavier Stien, Li Kang, Denis Coulon, Owen P. McGuinness, Kevin D. Niswender, Sean S. Davies. Incorporation of therapeutically modified bacteria into gut microbiota inhibits obesity. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 2014; DOI: 10.1172/JCI72517 

Lawrence A David, Arne C Materna, Jonathan Friedman, Maria I Campos-Baptista, Matthew C Blackburn, Allison Perrotta, Susan E Erdman, Eric J Alm. Host lifestyle affects human microbiota on daily timescales. Genome Biology, 2014; 15 (7): R89 DOI: 10.1186/gb-2014-15-7-r89 

A. Bergstrom, T. H. Skov, M. I. Bahl, H. M. Roager, L. B. Christensen, K. T. Ejlerskov, C. Molgaard, K. F. Michaelsen, T. R. Licht. Establishment of Intestinal Microbiota during Early Life: a Longitudinal, Explorative Study of a Large Cohort of Danish Infants. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 2014; 80 (9): 2889 DOI: 10.1128/AEM.00342-14 

Stephanie L. Schnorr, Marco Candela, Simone Rampelli, Manuela Centanni, Clarissa Consolandi, Giulia Basaglia, Silvia Turroni, Elena Biagi, Clelia Peano, Marco Severgnini, Jessica Fiori, Roberto Gotti, Gianluca De Bellis, Donata Luiselli, Patrizia Brigidi, Audax Mabulla, Frank Marlowe, Amanda G. Henry, Alyssa N. Crittenden. Gut microbiome of the Hadza hunter-gatherers. Nature Communications, 2014; 5 DOI: 10.1038/ncomms4654 

White RA, Bjørnholt JV, Baird DD, Midtvedt T, Harris JR, et al. Novel Developmental Analyses Identify Longitudinal Patterns of Early Gut Microbiota that Affect Infant Growth. PLoS Comput Biol, 2013 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1003042 

Bongers, G., et al. Interplay of host microbiota, genetic perturbations, and inflammation promotes local development of intestinal neoplasms in mice. J. Exp. Med, March 2014 DOI: 10.1084/jem.20131587

Endesfelder, D. et al. Compromised gut microbiota networks in children with anti-islet cell autoimmunity, Diabetes. Diabetes, March 2014 DOI: 10.2337/db13-1676 1939-327X 

Linlin Guo, Jason Karpac, Susan L. Tran, Heinrich Jasper. PGRP-SC2 Promotes Gut Immune Homeostasis to Limit Commensal Dysbiosis and Extend Lifespan. Cell, 2014; 156 (1-2): 109 DOI: 10.1016/j.cell.2013.12.018 

Johan Larsbrink, Theresa E. Rogers, Glyn R. Hemsworth, Lauren S. McKee, Alexandra S. Tauzin, et al. A discrete genetic locus confers xyloglucan metabolism in select human gut Bacteroidetes. Nature, 2014 DOI: 10.1038/nature12907 

Aurélien Trompette, Eva S Gollwitzer, Koshika Yadava, Anke K Sichelstiel, Norbert Sprenger, Catherine Ngom-Bru, Carine Blanchard, Tobias Junt, Laurent P Nicod, Nicola L Harris, Benjamin J Marsland. Gut microbiota metabolism of dietary fiber influences allergic airway disease and hematopoiesis. Nature Medicine, 2014; DOI: 10.1038/nm.3444 

Eva S Gollwitzer, Sejal Saglani, Aurélien Trompette, Koshika Yadava, Rebekah Sherburn, Kathy D McCoy, Laurent P Nicod, Clare M Lloyd, Benjamin J Marsland. Lung microbiota promotes tolerance to allergens in neonates via PD-L1. Nature Medicine, 2014; DOI: 10.1038/nm.3568 

American Society of Human Genetics. "Gene variants in immune system pathways correlated with composition of microbes of human body." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 24 October 2013. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/10/131024121808.htm>.

Tao Ding, Patrick D. Schloss. Dynamics and associations of microbial community types across the human body. Nature, 2014; DOI: 10.1038/nature13178

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2