Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2014 13:48:50 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Pamela, I saw your comment that NONE of your babies whom you identified with TT could you directly relate breastfeeding issues as a causative factor.  I am surprised.  My experience has been opposite.  My one grandson was not gaining weight.  My daughter nursed her daughter for 2 yrs, she self weaned in the pregnancy of my grandson.  He was born, I wasn't happy with his latch, to the naked eye it looked good.  But to my experience I knew I had to keep a careful eye on him.  Perfect output.  My daughter kept complaining she didn't feel like she had that good of a supply like she did with the first.  I kept saying to myself, because he ISN'T removing milk 100%.  She wouldn't believe me due to the output. But by day 7 (I had begged my daughter x 2 days to get him back to the Ped, he was too yellow and I didn't like his feeding despite his wonderful urine and stool outputs) were 100% effective.  Well, sure enough, bili of 20 and NO weight gain.  Thank goodness he had stopped losing weight.  I started poking around more posterior under his tongue and felt a very short tight frenulum.  I found it hard to believe this could really be the issue but having worked for days with his latch I was ready to get it evaluated.  A good ENT in my daughter's area agreed it needed taken care of.  The procedure was the best thing that could have happened for him.  He started gaining weight almost immediately.  My daughter's milk supply came up quickly and all was well, he nursed x 27 mo until he weaned during her third pregnancy.  My 2nd grandson had a suspicious posterior but he nursed perfectly and I didn't worry about it unless the scale told us a different story.  But all went well.

My friend and RN and IBCLC who works with me, nearly compromised her milk supply,to the point of no return, by us thinking her son's posterior was "ok" and he had an upper lip tip that was very thick.  At his 2 week check up he was good to go.  But by one month, her supply was tanking and he only  gained 3 oz in 2 weeks with CONSTANT nursing.  This baby's little tongue was tired of working so hard from being anchored so tight in the posterior portion of his mouth.  She is happily nursing him at 23 mo at the moment, but she has used donor milk here and there when her pumping at work was not so great.

3 of our local Peds have had similar stories with one or more of their babies.  I don't think any of us JUMP at TT. But you have to watch them and I am convinced many times they do cause lose of supply, sore nipples that just never get better and poor weight gain.  Other times it seems to be ok.  One mother, a RN, just let her baby nurse constantly for 3 mo before finally she said, my baby is constantly on me and my friends babies tend to fall off and actually sleep and are happy off of the breast.  When she had the revision done, it was amazing how much better her nipples finally felt and how her baby behaved.

I could go on and on.

But I have gotten myself into trouble for misinterpretation, a Dr thinking I am diagnosing so this is a tough subject.  My passion is to make sure a mom who wants to nurse is successful.

I find it hard to believe when a tongue is "anchored" it can ALWAYS do it's job well.  I saw a baby yesterday that could no way move the tongue forward well enough to remove milk well.  Such a touchy subject to try to educate parents without a Dr thinking you are TELLING them a tie has to be revised.  I did get an undergrad degree in speech therapy, never finished grad school as my desire to become a nurse took over (and the program lost its accreditation....lol....so I did learn a little about how a restricted tongue can affect speech down the road.

Pamela Hendrix, RN, IBCLC, RLC

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: DO NOT FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO OTHERS WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE SENDER.

This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain confidential or privileged material that is exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, copying, or taking any action in reliance on its contents is prohibited.  If you have any reason to believe this e-mail was not intended for you, please delete the e-mail and any attachments, and notify the sender immediately.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2